Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Gesture Drawing Week 1: Line of Action

The first lecture of gesture drawing focuses of the line of action. In terms of delivery, the lecture was very coherent and well thought out. However, the concept of the line of action seems to be a bit fuzzy at the best of times, and while the explanations were easy to understand, they weren't always internally consistent. For instance, Alex Woo mentions that the line of action is not a contour or outline of the shape. However, I was advised to make my line of action something I could use for the rest of the gesture (which is another way of saying outline) by Louis. I think this is just an inherent issue when an art class is taught by two teachers. I don't think that either is wrong, just different.

The lecture also includes two 20 minute gesture drawing sessions made up of 30 second poses. This is a great resource in and of it's self. I drew threw them both several times just to unwind after a long day at the office.

The homework this week came in three parts.
-2 hours of live cafe gesture drawing
-Overlay a line of action for 10 pictures of your choosing
-Draw the lines of action for the second 20 minute video.

The cafe drawing and video drawings wouldn't make much sense without the reference, so I'll post the overlays.














No comments:

Post a Comment